The following first appeared as part of Live & Play, a special section in the June issue of Military Officer magazine. The magazine is available to all MOAA Premium and Life members. Learn more and access the digital edition here; learn more about joining MOAA here.)
By Christina Wood
The Palmetto State has many attractions, including:
- More than 200 barbecue restaurants and four distinct sauces to sample on the Barbecue Trail.
- Myrtle Beach, which combines coastal beauty, white sand beaches, and affordability to make it a getaway for families.
- The Chattooga River, a 50-mile ribbon of whitewater coursing through the backwoods of South Carolina, which Deliverance (1972) made famous. The remote upstate tributary has been attractingthrill-seekers ever since.
- Tours in both Beaufort and Charleston that allow you to re-visit memorable moments from movies like Forrest Gump (1994), The Big Chill (1983), Prince of Tides (1991), The Patriot (2000), and others filmed in South Carolina.
- The Revolutionary Rivers National Recreation Trail. If you paddle a canoe or kayak through wetland forests along the trail, you’ll understand how Revolutionary War hero Francis Marion earned the nickname “Swamp Fox.” The trail, which offers recreational, fishing, and camping opportunities, spans 66 miles of blackwater that pass Marion’s backcountry battlegrounds and his secret base camp on Snow’s Island.
- Charleston’s southern charm and historic architecture as well as North Charleston’s shopping opportunities. Between Northwoods Mall, which includes more than 120 stores, and Tanger Outlets, the city tops the state in terms of gross retail sales.
Live & Play State Listing
- Live and Play: Alabama
- Live and Play: Arizona
- Live and Play: Arkansas
- Live and Play: California
- Live and Play: Florida
- Live and Play: Georgia
- Live and Play: Maryland
- Live and Play: Nevada
- Live and Play: North Carolina
- Live and Play: Oregon
- Live and Play: Pennsylvania
- Live and Play: South Carolina
- Live and Play: Texas
- Live and Play: Utah
- Live and Play: Virginia
- Live and Play: Washington