From a virtual career fair to in-person networking, and many points in between, MOAA has a number of exciting events happening soon. And whether you’re in the middle of a military-to-civilian transition or you’re a veteran or military spouse seeking a career move, events like these can be a critical part of an effective job search strategy.
Attendees at such MOAA events should “take peace in knowing that they’re not just transitioning ‘OUT’ of the world that they knew, … but transitioning ‘INTO’ a world that values their experiences,” said John Young, talent acquisition manager for Huntington Ingalls (HII) Mission Technologies, one of a panel of experts taking part in a Sept. 6 MOAA webinar.
[REGISTER TODAY: Accelerate Your Career Search Nationwide]
Ashlynn Stead, another panelist and a recruiter with SAIC, said job-seekers need to “be confident” in their overall approach – not just in their application materials, but in themselves as interviewees, networkers, and future valuable contributors at their next professional position.
Next month’s webinar offers an exclusive opportunity to meet these experts and others, learn about their career opportunities, and gain critical information that can help you land your next great job!
A recent Indeed article highlighted 12 ways to help you navigate the job-search process. While MOAA’s resources can assist with the full dozen, two are worth highlighting:
- Network Regularly: With some estimates saying more than 80% of all jobs are identified through networking, MOAA could not agree more! Not only does it afford you with the opportunity to hear about the positions, whether they are advertised or not, it may also provide you with a key contact inside the company or organization to share more insights on the opening.
- Participate in Job Fairs: The big advantage to this technique is that you are communicating directly with their talent acquisition professionals. When you do attend, always prepare in advance by researching your target employers, utilize your 30-second elevator to make a memorable first impression, and be ready to articulate the key qualifications that make you the ideal candidate. By elevating yourself over the competition, they may even interview you on the spot!
[RELATED: MOAA's Job Board, Powered by Indeed]
Learn about all of MOAA’s transition and career resources, including 1-on-1 consulting opportunities and other exclusive programs for Premium and Life members, at MOAA.org/Careers.
Upcoming MOAA Transition and Career Events
- Sept. 27: MOAA Seminar: Maximize Your Overall Compensation Package
- Oct. 4: Network for Career Success With MOAA (Arlington, Va; includes LinkedIn photo booth for Premium and Life members)
- Oct. 17-18: Military Executive Transition Seminar (remote)