Whether you’re starting or growing a small business, equipping yourself with the right tools, the best resources, and a strong network can help guide your journey and contribute to your ultimate success of your business. Consider these three tips:
1. Take Advantage of Training Programs. Whether you a service-disabled veteran, female entrepreneur, or maybe interested in contracting, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) may have a training program perfect for you -- and the price is right! Servicemembers, veterans, Guard & Reserve members, and military spouses can access Boots to Business and other entrepreneurship training at no cost. Learn more at the SBA website.
[JULY 20 MOAA WEBINAR: Small Business Ownership Tools and Resources]
2. Find Local Assistance. Although starting a small business may seem daunting and overwhelming, you don’t have to do it alone! SBA has Veteran Business Outreach Centers (VBOCs) located across the county to assist you on your entrepreneurship journey. Check out the resources near you.
3. Cultivate Your Veteran Business Network. Being self-employed can be challenging and unpredictable. Your local SBA District Office, VBOC, or Small Business Development Center (SBDC) can help you find other veteran or military spouse entrepreneurs who can help you at every stage of your small business ownership.
In turn, they can also introduce you to other professionals who will support you in setting up your business for success. This can be especially helpful if you’re looking for employees, contractors, or partners, as these contacts have already been vetted from a trusted person.
[RELATED: MOAA on LinkedIn]
Want more? Join Stan Kurtz, director of programs, Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD) for an exclusive conversation July 20 highlighting SBA’s entrepreneurship programs. Whether you are a transitioning servicemember, veteran, or military spouse, don’t miss this opportunity to get the tools, resources, and networking support you need to make your business flourish. Register today!
Upcoming MOAA Transition and Career Events
- Sept. 27: MOAA Seminar: Maximize Your Overall Compensation Package
- Oct. 4: Network for Career Success With MOAA (Arlington, Va; includes LinkedIn photo booth for Premium and Life members)
- Oct. 17-18: Military Executive Transition Seminar (remote)