Here’s How Servicemembers and Retirees Can Get Free Tax Help

Here’s How Servicemembers and Retirees Can Get Free Tax Help
Tetra Images/Getty Images

Servicemembers as well as some retirees, veterans, family members, and survivors qualify for tax assistance through Military OneSource designed to meet the specific needs of those who serve or have served.


And all retirees and servicemembers qualify for free in-person assistance via a separate, DoD-run program.


Here’s what you should know:



MilTax software offers no-cost tax help and filing for eligible beneficiaries, with special attention to service-specific filing situations such as combat pay, living overseas, and filing in multiple states.


Military OneSource also can connect taxpayers with tax experts via phone (800-342-9647) or chat for one-on-one guidance.


In addition to servicemembers, other MilTax-eligible beneficiaries include:

  • Spouses and dependents of servicemembers.
  • Retirees and honorably discharged veterans, to include Coast Guard members, within 365 days of separation.
  • Family members managing the affairs of deployed servicemembers or designated to manage the finances of a severely injured servicemember.
  • Nonremarried surviving spouses and children of deceased servicemembers.
  • Some DoD civilians.


Get full details on eligibility, as well as answers to other frequently asked questions, at this link.



In-person assistance is available for servicemembers, retirees (regardless of how long they’ve been out of uniform), and families through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, available at many military installations.


Click this link to find out what materials you should bring to your appointment.


[RELATED: MOAA’s Military State Report Card and Tax Guide]


More Resources

If you’re not eligible for the above services, or if you’re too far from a military VITA location, consider other online and in-person assistance, such as:

  • IRS Free File: Guided tax preparation is available online via the IRS for those with less than $73,000 in adjusted gross income.
  • AARP: The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program offers in-person and virtual help to filers over 50 who fall below certain income limits. Learn more here, or find a location near you.
  • Military Legal Aid: Service branches provide legal services, including tax advice, to servicemembers, retirees, and family members. These vary by location and staffing; start your research with this Legal Services Locator, provided by the Air Force.
  • MOAA: MOAA does not provide individual tax preparation services, but our financial resources page includes links to recent news on taxes, and our Webinar Archive (exclusive to Life and Premium members) offers a variety of financial tools that may inform tax decisions.


[WEBINAR ARCHIVE: What's New for the Upcoming Tax Season]


MOAA’s Financial Calculators

Whether you’re planning for retirement, buying a home, managing your investments, or more, these tools can help you make informed decisions.

Access Now

About the Author

Kevin Lilley
Kevin Lilley

Lilley serves as MOAA's digital content manager. His duties include producing, editing, and managing content for a variety of platforms, with a concentration on The MOAA Newsletter and Follow him on Twitter: @KRLilley