(Updated May 20 with even more discounts. New items are denoted by an asterisk-*)
Editor's note: Get more discounts at MOAA's Military Offers and Discounts page. MOAA members can get exclusive deals here.
By Blair Drake, MOAA Contributing Editor
Don’t miss out on these military discounts on attractions, shopping, lodging, and more during Military Appreciation Month.
Many attractions and businesses are recognizing and thanking those who are serving and who have served in the military by offering discounts during the month of May — and some year-round. Check out the following Military Appreciation Month discounts.
ATTRACTIONS AND LODGING
Big Surf Waterpark (Linn Creek, Mo.) is offerings all active duty military personnel free and unlimited admission to the park, all season long. Current military ID is required. In addition, the park offers a 20-percent discount to all immediate family members of military personnel with their dependent IDs.
* Carnival Cruise Line is offering exclusive savings and special discounts throughout May to members of the U.S. and Canadian armed forces. The special Military Appreciation promotion, which provides up to $50 onboard credit per stateroom, a complimentary two-category upgrade, and reduced deposits from $49 per person, can be combined with Carnival’s Early Saver rates. In addition, military members who qualify for the promotion can book up to two additional staterooms with the same bonuses and pricing. The promotion can be booked from May 22 to 31, 2019, and is applicable for a wide range of three- to 24-day sailings departing through 2021 from 20 North American homeports.
Coffee Creek Ranch (Trinity Center, Calif.) is offering veterans a 25-percent discount during Memorial Day week and weekend. Active duty military members get a year-round 25-percent discount on posted rates, and the discount extends to spouses and children. Call (800) 624-4480. (If you book online, you’ll still need to call to get the discount.)
Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg, Va.) is offering free admission to all active duty and retired servicemembers, veterans, activated or drilling reservists, National Guard personnel, and up to three direct dependents, during Memorial Day weekend.
Dorney Park (Allentown, Pa.) is waiving the regular admission fee May 25-27 for active military, retired military, National Guard, veterans with honorable or medical discharge, and ROTC cadets. In addition, up to six immediate family members of military personnel can purchase tickets for only $29.99. Valid government-issued ID is required.
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld is offering discounts to military members and families in May. All active duty and retired military personnel will be able to reserve rooms for as little as $99 a night. Learn more.
Kings Island (Mason, Ohio) is waiving the regular admission fee during Memorial Day weekend, May 24-27, for active military, retired military, National Guard, veterans with honorable or medical discharge, and ROTC cadets. Additionally, up to six tickets can be purchased for $35 each for immediate family members of military personnel. Valid government-issued military ID is required.
LEGOLAND Boston, Philadelphia, and Westchester (N.Y.) locations are offering free admission during the month of May to all active duty, reserve, and military veterans, and 50 percent off walk-up admission for their friends and families.
Magic Springs Theme and Water Park (Hot Springs, Ark.) is offering free admission for members of the military, both active duty and retired, as well as police, firefighters, and EMTs during its Heroes Appreciation Month, April 27 to May 27. From May 11-27, family members are $35.99 plus tax when accompanied by a HERO.
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) (New York City) is offering one free admission to active members of the U.S. military with valid ID as well as free admission for military families with dependent cards. Tickets are available at the information desk.
* NY Waterway Ferries. All uniformed military personnel and veterans with identification ride free during Fleet Week (Wednesday, May 22, through Tuesday, May 28). Kids under 12 years old ride free on all ferries between New Jersey and Manhattan from Saturday, May 25, through Memorial Day, May 27.
Pandora is offering 20% off Premium Subscriptions for veterans, currently serving, and military families. For only about 8 dollars, you can make your own playlists and get ad-free music.
Sandals Resorts MayCation Giveaway. Every day for the month of May, Sandals Resorts will randomly surprise one deserving military member, teacher, nurse, or mother with a complimentary seven-day/six-night Luxury Included® vacation for two adults at any Sandals or Beaches Resort of their choice in a Love Nest Butler Suite®, for a grand total of 31 giveaways. (Airfare is not included.) View the official rules.
* SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is offering free admission for U.S. military veterans and their families at its SeaWorld Orlando, SeaWorld San Antonio, and SeaWorld San Diego parks through July 15. Between now and June 9, U.S. military veterans and retirees can redeem their complimentary single-day ticket(s), which are valid through July 15, for themselves and up to three dependents online at WavesofHonor.com.
Silverwood Theme Park (Athol, Idaho) is offering free admission May 25-27 for all military personnel, veterans, police officers, and firefighters (identification required). Their immediate family members (spouse and children) also receive a special discounted rate when purchasing tickets at Silverwood's front gate. For information call (208) 683-3400.
Virginia Aquarium is offering half-priced admission each Sunday and Monday during the month of May to active duty military personnel, immediate family members, and retired military members with a valid ID.
Worlds of Fun (Kansas City, Mo.) is offering active duty, reserve, and retired military members complimentary admission Armed Forces Day (Saturday, May 18) and Memorial Day (Monday, May 27). Government-issued ID is required.
FOOD, RETAIL, AND SERVICES
Applebee’s is offering military members, both past and present, 15 percent off meals throughout the month of May. In addition, the restaurant is giving $5 bonus cards to servicemembers who dine with them on Armed Forces Day (Saturday, May 18), to be used on their next visit. Proof of military service is required.
Carhartt offers a 10-percent discount on apparel and accessories to members of the military community (active duty, veterans, retirees, military spouses, and military family members). ID is required.
* Costco. Military members and veterans who join Costco as new members receive coupons for free products and other great savings, valued at more than $60. Learn more.
* Eyemart Express is offering veterans, retired, active duty, and non-active duty military personnel and their families 20 percent off their eyewear purchase when they visit all 199 Eyemart Express, Vision4Less, Visionmart Express, or Eyewear Express stores nationwide. Learn more.
* Goodyear Auto Service and Just Tires. Military customers who schedule an appointment from May 23-27 for any service before June 13 will receive a free car care check as well as 10 percent off of Goodyear tires. This discount can be used in conjunction with all available tire-related manufacturer's rebates available to all consumers. To book your appointment, visit JustTires.com/military and GoodyearAutoService.com/military.
Kohl’s recently announced its new Military Mondays 15-percent discount to thank active and former military personnel and veterans and their families for their selflessness and service to our nation. The Kohl’s discount is valid in-store every Monday — all year long — when customers show a valid military ID, military dependent ID, or veteran ID at the point of purchase.
* McCormick & Schmick’s is offering Gold Star parents and spouses, veterans, and active members of the U.S. military and National Guard one free entrée (either for lunch or dinner) May 27. Learn more.
* Ninety Nine Restaurant & Pub. Veterans and active duty military members can buy one entrée and get one free on Memorial Day. Proof of service or military ID is required. You can pick from nine different dishes (all from the “9 real size entrées for $9.99” menu); beverage, tax, and tip aren’t included. Learn more.
* Rosetta Stone is offering a 10-percent discount on subscription services and downloadable audio lessons to active duty and retired U.S. military members. Learn more.
Silver Sands Premium Outlets (Miramar Beach, Fla.) is offering special giveaways and discounts throughout May for Military Appreciation Month. From 12-6 p.m. on May 4, 11, and 18, shoppers with a valid military ID can visit the courtyard by Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH to enter to win a $100 Visa® Simon® gift card every hour.
* Texas de Brazil Churrascaria Steakhouse is offering veterans and active duty military personnel with military ID a discount of 50 percent on dinner May 27-29. In addition, up to eight guests of the veteran or active duty military member each will receive a 20 percent discount.
* Vineyard Vines is showing their appreciation for servicemembers by offering a 15-percent military discount. Learn more.