- Statewide: 5.0%
- Counties can levy an additional sales tax of no more than 1.75%
- Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 5.46%
- Common Exceptions at State Level:
- Prescription Medicine: Exempt
- Unprepared Foods: Exempt
- Gasoline Tax: 51.30 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 57.30 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Cigarette Tax: $2.52/pack of 20
Personal Income Tax
Income tax comments: *Retired taxpayers may be eligible for a tax credit. If 65 and over, may deduct $5,000 of retirement income if federal AGI is less than $15,000.
- Personal Income Tax Rate Range: Four brackets from 3.54% to 7.65% (on income over $266,930)
- Standard deduction: Single Filing Status: $11,200. Married Filing Jointly: $20,470, subject to phase-out
- Personal Exemption Allowance: $700. Dependent Exemption: $700
- Itemized Deductions Allowed? Yes, subject to limitations.
- Retirement Income
- Social Security: Exempt
- 401Ks/Defined contribution employer retirement plans: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
- Private pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
- Public Pensions: Some are exempt*
- Military Pay
- Active Duty Pay: Taxable to the extent included in federal Adjusted Gross Income except for National Guard and reservist pay, which is exempt. May also be eligible for $300 tax credit.
- Military Retirement Pay: Exempt
- Military Disability Pay: Exempt
- VA Dependency & Indemnity Compensation Benefits: Exempt
- SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Exempt
- Local municipalities average 1.85% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: Varies by county
- Relief programs for:
- Owner-occupied: Credit up to $1,168 if income less than $24,860.
- Disabled Veterans: May be eligible for 100% exemption if 100% service-connected disability.
- School Property Tax Credit: Based on property's assessed value as a percentage of municipality's total assessed value.
- Lottery and Gaming Credit: Amount of credit for homeowners varies each year.
- 65 and over: Deferral programs available through the Wisconsin Housing and Development Authority.
- Personal Property Tax: Yes. Rates and exemptions vary.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None
Department of Revenue website: www.revenue.wi.gov