- Statewide: 6.5%
- Municipalities can levy sales tax of no more than 4.0%.
- Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 8.752%
- Common Exceptions at State Level:
- Unprepared Food: Exempt
- Prepared Food: 10%
- Prescription Drugs: Exempt
- Gasoline Tax: 67.80 cents/gallon (includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 73.80 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Cigarette Tax: $3.025/pack of 20
Personal Income Tax
- Washington has no personal income tax.
- Local municipalities average 0.98% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: Fair market value; revalued every year. Tax rate limited to 1% of market value but excludes special levies approved by voters.
- Relief Programs:
- Over 61 or Disabled (Veterans must have 80% service-connected disability): Exemption dependent on income and assessed value. Freeze on property value, all special levies exempt, and possible reduction of regular levies. Household income of less than $40,000 determines eligibility. Deferral program also available if over 60 or disabled.
- Low Income: Deferral program available if household income less than $57,000.
- Veteran's Surviving Spouse: Assistance in paying taxes if meet certain requirements.
- Personal Property Tax: Yes. Rates and exemptions are at the discretion of individual municipalities.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: Estates over $2.193 million are taxed between 10% and 20%. There is no inheritance tax.
Department of Revenue website: www.dor.wa.gov