- Statewide: 4.5%
- Municipalities can levy sales tax of no more than 6.5%.
- Current average sales tax: 6.314%
- Gasoline Tax: 48.40 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local. and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 54.40 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Seniors and disabled individuals may be eligible for a sales tax refund.
Personal Income Tax
- South Dakota has no personal income tax.
- Local municipalities average 1.31% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: 85% of fair market value.
- Relief programs for:
- 65 and over or Disabled (Veterans rated at least 60%): Assessment freeze available if 65 and over.
- 66 and over: Eligible for property tax refund if meet certain income requirements.
- Over 70: Deferral program available
- 100% Disabled Veterans/Surviving Spouse (not remarried): Exempts up to $150,000 of assessed value for qualifying property.
- Paraplegic Veterans/Surviving Spouse (not remarried): Exempts qualifying property from all property taxes.
- Paraplegic: Reduces property taxes on a graduated scaled based on income.
- Personal Property Tax: Yes. Rates and exemptions vary.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None
Department of Revenue website: https://dor.sd.gov