(This article by Louisiana-based writer Kathie Rowell originally appeared in the December 2021 edition of Military Officer, a magazine available to all MOAA Premium and Life members. Learn more about the magazine here; learn more about joining MOAA here.)
Job seekers sometimes don’t realize the range of federal government career opportunities, said Bill Ashton, program manager, Military Veterans Agriculture Liaison at USDA. While the USDA may be associated with farming and food production, it has jobs for everything from financial officers to real estate agents to human resources to IT specialists.
But Uncle Sam also offers unique job opportunities for those who enjoy something different. For instance, if you:
- Love our country’s natural wonders and historic sites, a job with the National Park Service offers a chance to protect those treasures for future generations.
- Have a passion for helping others achieve their full potential, employment as a workforce development specialist for the Bureau of Indian Affairs could provide a sense of fulfillment.
- Enjoy the challenge of international diplomacy, a foreign service placement with the Department of State could be exciting.
- Know how to safely navigate all the dark corners of the World Wide Web, the FBI could use your cybersecurity skills.
- Want to contribute to the future of space travel, you could help advance exploration as an aerospace engineer for NASA.
To research thousands of job opportunities available with the federal government, go to USAJobs.gov.
Seize Your Future: Write to Influence!
Powerful writing often tips the balance between success and failure – tip it in your favor with proven strategies and techniques from the book Write to Influence!, winner of eight national-level awards.
Join the book's author, Life Member of MOAA Col. Carla D. Bass, USAF (Ret), for a MOAA webinar where she will discuss how to make every word count and every second of the reader's time work for you.