- Statewide: 5.75%
- Counties can levy an additional sales tax of no more than 2.25%.
- Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 7.13%
- Common Exceptions at State Level:
- Prescription Medicine: Exempt
- Unprepared Foods: Exempt
- Gasoline Tax: 56.91 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 71.41 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Cigarette Tax: $1.60/pack of 20
Personal Income Tax
Income tax comments: The state allows municipalities to levy an income tax, but approval must be obtained by voters. *Retirement income of less than $100,000 is eligible for tax credit of up to $200.
- Personal Income Tax Rate Range: Five brackets from 0% to 4.797% (on income more than $217,400)
- Standard deduction: None
- Personal Exemption Allowance: Income $40,000 or less: $2,350. $40,000-$80,000:$2,100. Over $80,000: $1,850
- Dependent Exemption: Same as personal
- Itemized Deductions Allowed?: Yes, subject to limitations
- Retirement Income
- Social Security: Exempt to the extent included in federal Adjusted Gross Income
- IRAs: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates to extent included in federal AGI*
- 401Ks/Defined contribution employer retirement plans: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates to extent included in federal AGI*
- Private pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates to extent included in federal AGI*
- Public Pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates to extent included in federal AGI*
- Military Pay
- Active Duty Pay: Taxable to the extent included in federal AGI
- Military Retirement Pay: Exempt
- Military Disability Pay: Exempt
- VA Disability Dependency & Indemnity Compensation Benefits: Exempt
- SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Exempt to the extent included in federal AGI
- Local municipalities average 1.58% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: 35% of fair market value; reappraised annually
- Relief programs for:
- Low Income & Over 65 or Disabled: First $25,000 of appraised value exempt for those making less than $32,800.
- Disabled Veterans/Surviving Spouse: Up to $50,000 of appraised value exempt if 100% disabled. No income requirements.
- Personal Property Tax: None.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None
Department of Revenue website: www.tax.ohio.gov