- Statewide: 4.225%
- Counties can levy an additional sales tax of no more than 6.125%.
- Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 7.034%
- Common Exceptions at State Level:
- Prescription Medicine: Exempt
- Unprepared Foods: 1%
- Gasoline Tax: 35.82 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Diesel Fuel Tax: 41.82 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)
- Cigarette Tax: 17 cents/pack of 20
Personal Income Tax
- Personal Income Tax Rate Range: Nine brackets from 1.5% to 5.4% (on income greater than $8,704)
- Standard deduction: Single Filing Status: $12,550. Married Filing Jointly: $25,100
- Personal Exemption Allowance: N/A
- Itemized Deductions Allowed? Yes, subject to limitations
- Retirement Income
- Social Security: Fully exempt for taxpayers with income less than $85,000; others may receive partial exemption.
- IRAs: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates
- 401Ks/Defined contribution employer retirement plans: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates
- Private pensions: Individuals with income less than $25,000 may receive a $6,000 exception, joint filers making less than $32,000 may exempt up to $12,000.
- Public Pensions: Individuals with income less than $85,000 ($100,000 joint) can take an exemption limited to the maximum Social Security benefit of each spouse.
- Military Pay
- Active Duty Pay: Exempt
- Military Retirement Pay: Exempt
- Military Disability Pay: Exempt
- VA Disability Dependency & Indemnity Compensation Benefits: Exempt
- SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Exempt
- State allows a county- and city-level income tax. Federal income tax deductible (limited to $500).
- Local municipalities average .97% of the property's assessed value.
- Calculation of assessed value: 19% of fair market value
- Relief programs for:
- 65 and over/100% Disabled/Over 60 & Receiving Survivor Benefits: May be entitled to up to $1,100 credit if meet income requirements and taxes due.
- Disabled and former POW Veterans: May be 100% exempt
- Personal Property Tax: Yes. Rates and exemptions vary.
Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None
Department of Revenue website: www.dor.mo.gov