Jump to Frequently Asked Questions about the dues collection tool, or view a recording of the training webinar
Note: Your computer may prompt you to download software to view the video.
This new online chapter membership dues collection tool has been created to help assist with chapter member joins and renewals. National MOAA is pleased to provide you with this opportunity to collect your chapter membership dues at no cost to your chapter.
- As a reminder, you must comply with all MOAA security and privacy standards.
- Each chapter sets its own annual chapter dues rate.
- The annual dues cycle is established by each individual chapter. Most chapters have an annual dues cycle of January to December, while others may use an alternative schedule (i.e., fiscal year calendar of October to September).
- Regardless of the date submitted, the chapter membership expiration date will be the last day in the final month of the annual dues cycle as established by the chapter.
- Renewing members are required to pay a full year of annual dues, regardless of the date they submit the dues payment. Their local chapter membership expiration date will be the last day on the final month your chapter's dues cycle.
- For example, the XYZ Chapter has an annual dues cycle of January to December, and dues are $20 a year. If member John Doe renews his chapter membership in April, his dues payment would be $20. If member John Doe renews his membership in October, his dues payment would still be $20. The expiration date in both cases would be Dec. 31.
- Newly joining members enter the chapter’s annual dues cycle based solely upon the month/day in which they submit their chapter membership payment via the online tool. If they submitted their chapter membership payment within the first six months of the chapter's dues cycle, they would be required to submit a payment for the full annual rate. For those new members joining after six months of the chapter's annual dues cycle, the amount due offers a six-month prorated credit toward their annual local chapter dues.
- For example, the XYZ Chapter has an annual dues cycle of January to December, and dues are $20 a year. If new member John Doe joins the chapter in April, his dues payment would be $20. If new member John Doe joined the XYZ chapter in October, his dues payment would be $10. The expiration date in both cases would be Dec. 31.
- All new joins and renewal confirmations will be sent directly to the account and email address established by the chapter. Report functionality for joins and renews are available in the chapter interface.
- All newly joining and renewing chapter members will receive a confirmation page with the following information: Thank you for joining the (chapter name). Your credit card ending in XXXX has been charged $XX. Your membership is valid through (expiration date).
- The system will collect the online payments (credit and debit cards only) and distribute to the chapter on or before the fifth day of each month.
- Please ensure you have your chapter bank account information readily available. You will have an opportunity to review your information before final submittal.
If you are a chapter treasurer who would like to establish your chapter account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to enroll in the program and set up an account
Statements and Reports
Q1. Why did national MOAA created the online chapter membership dues join and renewal program?
A1. To support chapters with their recruiting and retention.
Q2. What does the program do?
A2. Allows prospective members to join the chapter and current members to submit their annual dues online using a credit card. Users can also make donations to chapter fundraising (i.e. scholarships) at the same time that they make their dues payment.
Q3. Is the online site secure?
A3. Yes, it complies with all MOAA security and privacy standards to safeguard the sensitive information.
Q4. Who can participate in this program?
A4. Each chapter can enroll in the program.
Q5. What if a chapter does not participate in the program?
A5. If a new or current member selects a non-participating chapter, they will receive a notification that the chapter does not participate at this time. New perspective members will be directed to the chapter locator page.
Q6. What are the fees?
A6. National MOAA covers all the set-up, transactions and administrative fees. The chapter and chapter member are not assessed any fees. For instance chapter xyz annual dues are $15. If the chapter member submits a $15 online payment, the member would be electronically charged $15 and the funds deposited electronically in the chapter’s bank account would be $15.
How to enroll in the program and set up an account:
Q7. How does a chapter enroll in the program?
A7. The chapter treasurer or designated representative must complete the initial set-up at https://chapterdues.moaa.org/ChapterTools/default.aspx
Q8. How many accounts can a chapter establish?
A8. Each chapter can establish one site.
Q9. If the chapter enrolls in the program, do they need to collect all dues payments through the online system?
A9. No, a chapter can still continue to collect dues in person via cash or check. This is just another tool along with your current collection methodology. However, your statements and reports will only reflect payments received through the online system.
Q10. Who can establish the chapter account?
A10. The chapter treasurer or designated representative.
Q11. How does the chapter treasurer or designated rep access the site?
A11. They must contact national MOAA at email@example.com for a username and password to establish a chapter account.
Q12. Once they log into the system – what actions are required?
A12. Before you can continue, you must reset your password and establish your password recovery questions. Your password must be between 8 and 15 characters long and include 1 capital letter, 1 lowercase letter, 1 number, and 1 symbol.
Q13. After establishing a new password, what information does the chapter treasure or designated rep need to have to establish the account?
A13. They must have the individual chapter dues structure and bank account information readily available.
Q14. What if the chapter treasure forgot the username?
A14. If you forgot your user ID please contact MOAA at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, chapter name, e-mail address and phone number and a customer service specialist will contact you.
Q15. What if the chapter treasure forgot the password?
A15. To recover your password, you will need to provide your username as well as answer your security questions. Once you have successfully answered your security questions, you will be sent an email containing a link which will allow you to reset your password.
Q16: What if the chapter treasurer or designated rep are still having problems after trying the” forgot user name and forgot password” steps?
A16: For assistance with this site please email: email@example.com
Q17. How much are the chapter dues?
A17. Each chapter sets its own annual dues rate.
Q18. What are the dues categories?
A18. There are two dues categories: Regular and Surviving spouse members
Q19. Can the dues rate be different for Regular and Surviving Spouse members?
A19. Yes, the chapter can establish separate annual dues rate for each category?
Q20. Can the dues rate be $0.00 (Free)?
A20. Yes, if the dues rate is $0.00 then the credit card fields will be hidden. The newly joining or renewing member can complete the process without a payment and will receive a confirmation page depicting the membership expiration through the end of the annual dues cycle.
Q21. If the chapter charges a dues payment, is a minimum dues rate required to be established?
A21. Other than a $0.00 (Free) membership, the required minimum annual dues rate is $12.00.
Q22. Is there a maximum dues rate?
A22. No, the only restriction on the chapter is to set a $0.00 (Free) or a minimum dues rate.
Q23. Why does a chapter need to establish a $0.00 (Free) or minimum dues rate to use the system?
A23. A minimum dues rate structure is necessary to ensure the individual transaction and administrative fees do not become excessively costly per each online dues submittal.
Q24. Can payment be made with a credit or debit card?
A24. Yes, payment can be made via credit and debit cards only.
Q25. Will the system accept scholarship donations?
A25. Yes. Users can donate up to $100 to their chapter scholarship funds in addition to making their regular dues payment.
Q26. Can the chapter set up multiple year options?
A26. Yes. Chapters can choose to offer discounted rates for 2 and 3 year renewals, or simply double or triple their annual rate. If your chapter would rather have members only renew on an annual basis, leave the 2 and 3 year option at $0.00.
Q27. What is the annual dues cycle?
A27. The annual dues cycle is established by each individual chapter. Most chapters have an annual dues cycle of January to December, while others may use an alternative schedule (ie. Fiscal year calendar of October to September).
Q28. When does the chapter membership expire?
A28. Regardless of the date submitted, the chapter membership expiration date will be the last day of the final month of the annual cycle as established by the chapter.
Q29. When does a renewing member make their dues payments?
A29. In the first month of the established chapter’s annual dues cycle.
Q30. Does a renewing member receive any electronic notification that their annual dues is expiring?
A30. At this time, there is no automatic notification system. We encourage the chapter treasurer or designated rep to provide the renewal information directly to their membership.
Q31. What if renewing members are late submitting their annual dues – are they assessed any additional penalties or fees?
A31. Renewing members are required to pay a full year of annual dues, regardless of the date they submit dues payment. Their local chapter membership expiration date will be the last day of the final month of your chapter’s due cycle.
Q32. Can you provide a renewal example?
A32. Yes, the XYZ chapter has an annual dues cycle of January to December, and Regular dues are $20 per year. If member John Doe renews his chapter membership in April, his dues payment would be $20. If member John Doe is late submitting his renewal and then pays in October, his dues payment would still be $20. However, the expiration date in both cases would be Dec 31st.
Q33. Can a new member join the chapter through this system?
A33. Yes, new chapter members can join the chapter and submit their chapter dues payment, if the chapter is participating in the program and has established an account.
Q34. What if the new perspective member selects a chapter that does not participate in the program?
A34. The new perspective member will receive a message stating that the chapter they selected does
Not participate in the online dues program and will be directed to the chapter locator page on the MOAA website.
Q35. Can you provide a new join example?
A35. Yes, the XYZ chapter has an annual dues cycle of January to December, and Regular dues are $20 per year. If member Jane Doe joins her local chapter in April, her dues payment would be $20. If member Jane Doe joined the XYZ chapter in October, her dues payment would be $10. However, the expiration date in both cases would be Dec 31st.
Q36. Can the current or newly joining chapter member submit national MOAA dues on this site?
A36. No. However, a link is provided to direct the member to the proper site for national MOAA joins and dues renewal.
Statements and Reports:
Q37. Once the dues payment is submitted – what happens?
A37. The member will receive a confirmation e-mail with the following information: credit card ending in XXXX has been charged $XX. The membership is valid through (expiration date).
Q38. Does the chapter treasurer or designated rep receive a notification?
A38. All new joins and renewal confirmations are sent directly to the account e-mail address established by the chapter treasurer or designated rep.
Q39. How often are the collected funds deposited into the chapter’s bank account?
A39. Monthly, all funds collected will be deposited electronically in the chapter’s bank account on the fifth of each month.
Q40. How will the chapter treasurer or designated rep know how much has been deposited?
A40. They receive a monthly electronic statement of all transactions.
Q41. Can the chapter treasurer also run detailed reports?
A41. Yes, they can run a detailed report at any time with all the pertinent information via an excel spreadsheet or html product.
Q42. How does the chapter treasurer or designated rep access this report?
A42. The chapter treasurer or designated rep must log onto the chapter administrator site.
Q43. Can these reports be downloaded and saved?
Q44. Can these reports be printed?
Q45. What type of reports are available?
A45. Reports can be run to view all members who joined and renewed within the specified time period.
Q46. Will the amount of a member’s donation be visible on report results?
A46. Yes, there is a column to show the dues amount paid and a separate column to show the amount of their donation if they made one.