MOAA Seeks Applicants for Board of Directors
This year, as required by MOAA’s bylaws, eligible MOAA members will elect 12 new directors to take office Nov. 2, to replace those who will complete their six-year terms. The association needs highly qualified officers with proven track records in the grades of W-1 through O-10 to serve on the board.
The bylaws prescribe the apportionment of board seats by service. In addition to four vacancies to be filled without regard to service affiliation, service-specific vacancies this year are one Army, one Marine Corps, three Navy, two Air Force, and one NOAA. The Coast Guard and Public Health Service have no specific vacancies, but officers from those services may apply for the four at-large seats.
A special nominating committee will select for each upcoming vacancy the nominee who, in its judgment, will best serve the interests of MOAA and its members. The committee’s slate of nominees will be presented to the voting membership by mail for election. Printed ballots will be furnished with the August 2018 issue of Military Officer, and online voting again will be offered. Newly elected directors will be installed after the annual meeting in Phoenix, Nov. 2.
To be sure the board reflects the geographic distribution of the voting membership, at least four directors must come from each of six regions, in which reside approximately equal numbers of voting MOAA members.
Regions that need representation:
- Region 4 requires at least one director. The other 11 vacancies may be filled from any region.
Instructions for Applicants to the MOAA Board of Directors
Please read the following information in its entirety before completing the applications.
Submitting an Application
- To apply, officers should download this application form.
- An application package must be in loose-leaf form. Please do not bind the application package together, and do not staple multipage documents (use paper clips only).
- Each application form must be accompanied by the supporting documentation listed on the application form under “Qualifications” for it to be considered by the Committee on Nominations.
- If nominated, you will be asked to give your consent for a background check.
Adobe Fillable PDF Forms Instructions
- The online application to submit your name for consideration is in fillable format and can be printed and saved to your computer.
- To view and complete fillable PDF forms, you'll need the latest version of the freely available Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Completed applications and letters of reference should be mailed to Committee on Nominations, Military Officers Association of America, 201 N. Washington St., Alexandria, VA 22314-2539. Applications and all letters of reference must be received by March 31, 2018.
If there are any questions, email email@example.com or call (800) 234-MOAA (6622), ext. 167. (After working hours, please leave a voicemail message, and include the spelling of your first and last name, your telephone number, and, if known, your MOAA member number.)
You will find more details about the nominating and election process in the January, February, and March 2018 issues of Military Officer magazine.