TRICARE Dental Program
The TRICARE Dental Program is a voluntary, premium-based dental insurance plan, administered by MetLife. This program is for active duty family members and members of the National Guard and Reserve, and their family members. TDP provides 100 percent coverage for diagnostic, emergency, and preventive services, with the exception of sealants. Sealants are covered at the 80 percent level with a 20 percent cost share paid by the beneficiary.
View the TRICARE fact sheet on the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP).
Who is eligible?
The following beneficiaries are eligible to enroll:
- Family member of an active duty service member
- Family member of a National Guard/Reserve member
- National Guard/Reserve Member who isn’t on active duty or covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)
- You get active duty dental benefits if you're on active duty or covered by TAMP.
The TRICARE Dental Program covers:
- Exams, cleanings, fluorides, sealants, and X-rays
- Fillings, including white fillings on back teeth
- Root canals
- Gum surgery
- Oral surgery and tooth extractions
- Crowns and dentures
- Orthodontics and braces
- Scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) for diabetics
- Additional cleaning for pregnant women
What does it cost?
There are monthly premiums associated with TDP that depend on the sponsor's status. For detailed information, please visit http://tricare.mil/Costs/DentalCosts/TDP.aspx.