The American Legion – Tampa American Patriot Designated Grant
The Tampa Department Convention Corporation was chartered in 1972 as a non-profit corporation in the State of Florida. Their mission was to sponsor state-wide conventions for American Legion Posts throughout Florida, with the endorsement of the Department of Florida headquarters. These conventions were annual events, and the last one took place in 1992. Their slogan read: “For God and Country – Come Alive in Tampa – it’s Terrific!”
When the American Legion Department of Florida, Tampa Department Convention Corporation was dissolved in 2002, the Board of Directors elected to distribute the remaining funds equally between The American Legion – September 11th Memorial Scholarship Fund and the MOAA Scholarship Fund – American Patriot Scholarship to “support our troops and their families”. All funds were generated by American Legionnaires from throughout the State of Florida from 1975 to 2002.
The “American Legion – Tampa, Florida American Patriot Designated Grant” was established with the funds received by the MOAA Scholarship Fund.
MAJ Henry J. Binder, USAR (Ret.) was the past Commander of the American Legion Post #147 in Odessa, FL and the last Treasurer of the Corporation. He is pictured here as 1st LT Henry J. Binder, MSC, USA. This picture was taken at Camp Younghans, Japan on October 1951, Age 28. He was serving as the Assistant Battalion Surgeon, 1st Battalion, 223rd Infantry Regiment, 40th Infantry Division.