Advertising Rate Card-- Reach the best of the growing mature market!
You can now view the Military Officer magazine Media Kit online.
(Effective with the January 2013 edition)
About our magazine and our audience
As the official publication of the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA), Military Officer is a wide-interest monthly magazine dedicated to serving the needs of its members. Targeted to active, affluent military officers and their families - both retired and active duty - the magazine includes topics such as national defense, retirement lifestyles, second careers, health and wellness, family life, travel and leisure, current events, and military history.
You'll make the most of your ad dollars as you target and reach our affluent subscriber base:
- 59% have a household income of $100,000 or more.
- Average household total income in 2011 was $108,000.
- The average investment portfolio of recipients is $386,000.
- Some 53% spent $500 or more on mail order in one year.
- 85% of recipients have access to a computer, either at home or work.
- The average age is 69 - and 30% are still working.
- Many readers have second careers … nearly all engage in hobbies ranging from reading to listening to music and home improvement.
- Most travel, golf, swim, bicycle, fish and enjoy fitness walking.
- 79% of readers exercise twice a week or more.
- 50% of recipients pass along their copy of the magazine to one or more other people.
Military Officer is published monthly, with 12 issues per year. Average paid circulation 333,606. Average non-analyzed non-paid circulation is 12,260. (AAM Publisher's Statement for six-month period ending December 31, 2012.)
- All advertising orders are subject to the publisher's approval. Rates are subject to change.
- Space is invoiced on contract rates or on an as-earned basis.
- Payment terms are Net 30. Advertisers will be rebated or short-rated to adjust to actual earned rate based on total space used in 12 months from date of first insertion.
- Orders containing incorrect rates will be accepted and charged at regular rates. Such errors will be regarded as clerical only.
- 1.5 percent per month will be charged on balances more than 30 days past due.
- Two-page spreads are charged at individual unit rates and count as two units for purposes of determining frequency.
- No changes to ad copy accepted after material closing dates.
- For new advertisers, the first insertion must be prepaid.
Effective January 2013 Issue
Black & White
Direct Market rates available
Special rates for Retirement Communities available
Classified and Real Estate Rates
- Minimum 1 inch, maximum 3 inches.
- Column width 2 1/8 inches (48 spaces on a 10-pitch typewriter).
- One column inch is 10 agate lines. Allow 2 lines for headline.
- Pubset included with no logos.
- No special borders.
- Real Estate Classifieds grouped in a special section by state and listed alphabetically.
- Classified advertising by the line and blind ads not accepted.
- All classifications; no frequency discounts; non-commissionable.
- $230 per column inch; over 1 inch billed in 1/2 inch increments.
- Special rate for MOAA members: $210 per inch.
High profile opportunities.
- Bind-in cards or envelopes.
- Cards are accepted only with orders for 1/2 page ad or greater.
- Advertiser furnished, minimum 3-inch lip for bind-in, 1/8" head trim and 70 lb. stock.
- General rate: $18.00 per thousand.
Target your marketing.
Commissions and Discounts
More power for your ad dollars.
- Agency Commission: 15% on gross to recognized agencies on units 1/6 page or larger.
- Published monthly; issued five days before the issue month.
- No cancellations accepted after space closing date.
- No changes for copy will be accepted after material closing date, and none will be considered executed unless acknowledged by the publisher.
15% to all recognized Agencies.
Call Angela Jenkins at (703) 838-8145 for coordination of materials and any questions.
STANDARD SIZE UNITS
- Web offset.
- Paper: 100 lb. cover and 40 lb. coated offset inside.
- Publication trim size: 8" x 10 1/2".
- Full-page bleed size: 8 1/8" x 10 3/4".
- Two-page spread: 16 1/4" x 10 3/4" (separate copy 1/4 inch between fold).
- Bleeds on full page ads only. Keep live copy 1/4 inch from trim.
- Saddle stitched, trimmed flush.
- Three column format: 2 1/8 inches wide, 9 5/8 inches deep.
The magazines are produced using a PDF digital workflow to ensure highest quality reproduction. All advertising submissions must be PDF/X-1a. Ad files must be uploaded to our web portal AdShuttle. Please visit and register www.adshuttle.com for ad submission.
- Digital Ad Requirements.
- PDF/X-1a PDF
- All fonts must be embedded (TrueType fonts cannot be used for printing).
- Color must be CMYK or Grayscale. NO RGB, Lab or embedded color profiles.
- No files with PMS colors (PMS colors Must be converted to CMYK).
- Maximum ink density: 240 total.
- Resolution: 300 dpi.
- Other information.
- Publisher reserves the right to reject improperly prepared materials.
- Call Angela Jenkins at (703) 838-8145 for coordination of materials and any questions.
- Unless previously instructed, digital ads will be destroyed one year after use.
MOAA Web Site Advertising Units & Rates
|Banner Size ||Pixels (click below for sample) ||File Size ||Rate (per month) |
|Small||180x50 ||30k|| $1000 |
|Medium||180x100 ||30k|| $1350|
|Large||180x150 ||100k|| $1575|
|Skyscraper||180x600 ||100k|| $1800|
|File Format||GIF or JPEG |
|File size||See tables|
|Animation Length (max)||15 seconds|
SO WHEN WOULD MY AD RUN?
Per calendar month. Refer to Military Officer magazine closing dates.
Contract and Copy Regulations
Advertisements are accepted upon the representation that advertiser and its agency have the right to publish the contents thereof. In consideration of such publication, advertiser and its agency jointly and severally agree to indemnify and hold publisher harmless against any expense or loss by reason of any claims or actions against publisher arising out of publication of the advertisement.
All contents of advertisements are subject to publisher's approval, and publisher reserves the right to reject or cancel any advertising, insertion order, space reservation, or position commitment at any time, with or without notice to the advertiser or advertising agency, and whether or not such advertising was previously acknowledged, accepted, or published. Advertisements that, in the publisher's opinion, look like magazine editorial copy will be marked "Advertisement."
Position of advertisement is at the discretion of the publisher, and publisher will not be bound by any condition appearing on insertion orders or copy instructions that conflict with the provisions of this rate card.
The publisher is not responsible for orders, cancellations, or corrections given over the telephone. Written confirmations of orders, cancellations, or corrections must be received by closing date. Advertisements not received by closing date will not be entitled to the privilege of OK or revision by the advertiser or its agency.
All orders are accepted subject to the condition that publisher shall not be liable for delay or failure in execution of accepted advertising orders in the event of acts of God, action by any government or quasi-government entity, fires, accidents, strikes, or other contingencies beyond the publisher's control.
The liability of the publisher for any error for which it maybe held legally responsible will not exceed the cost of the space ordered or occupied by the error. The publisher specifically assumes no liability for errors in key numbers. The publisher will not, in any event, be liable for direct, special, incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to loss of income or profits.
Acceptance of the advertisement by the publisher shall in no way constitute endorsement of or recommendation by publisher or the magazine for the contents of the advertisement or the product advertised.
Publisher shall have the right to hold advertiser and its advertising agency jointly and severally liable for such monies as are due and payable to the publisher for advertising which advertiser or its agent ordered and which advertising was published.
Points of Contact
PUBLISHER: The Military Officers Association of America
For Retirement and Classified advertising please contact:
Angela Jenkins, Advertising Manager
Katrina Rainey, Assistant Advertising Manager
201 N. Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2539
Phone: 800-234-6622 ext. 145/175
For General and Direct Market advertising please contact:
James G. Elliott., Inc.
New York: 212-588-9200 X1328/1321
Chicago: 312-236-4900 X1102
Los Angeles: 213-596-7215
Space contents, insertion orders, proof, copy, and offset printing materials (see Mechanical Requirements) should be addressed to:
Military Officer magazine/Advertising
201 N. Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2539